Whether you are picking up a car at the airport while traveling or you need a vehicle while your own car is in the shop, renting a car can be a confusing puzzle of rates, fees, and responsibilities. You want to get the best deal, but the advertised price may not include all the possible fees.
Better Business Bureau offers the following tips to help make your next car rental experience a little easier:
- Do your Research. Check with Better Business Bureau before doing business with a company. Visit us at bbb.org/cleveland or call 216-241-7678 to check out rental car companies.
- Shop around. Car rental rates may vary depending on the company, lead time, etc. You may get a better rate if you shop around and compare prices. Check with your credit card company, insurance agencies, or other membership organizations to see if they offer package deals or discounted rates.
- Check with your insurance. Before leaving home double check with your insurance carrier or employer policy (if traveling for work) to see if your policy covers damage to your rental vehicle or liability as a driver.
- Read before your sign. Before signing your rental agreement make sure you read the fine print and understand the terms of the contract. Check that the price and fees that you agreed to are reflected in your contract. Ask questions if you do not understand any parts of the contract.
- Inspect the vehicle. Before driving away in your rental car carefully inspect your rental vehicle. Note any damage including: scratches, dents, stains, tears, cracks, etc. Take pictures of videos of the damage for your personal records. Make the rental company aware of any damages immediately.
- Returning the vehicle. Upon returning with your rental car, check in with an attendant to inspect the vehicle and go over any damages. Get a final print out of the charges that will be made on your credit card. Later check your statement to make sure there are no unusual or unexpected charges.
- For more tips visit: go.bbb.org/rentalcar